Last updated: 29/10/2019
We have produced a short video guide on how to submit an assignment to Turnitin – please click on the image below to view it in Panopto or follow this link to play the video.
Alternatively, the guidance below will walk you through the steps in submitting a Turnitin assignment in Moodle.
Accepting Turnitin User Agreement
If you are submitting a Turnitin Assignment for the first time, you may see a notification asking you to accept the latest ‘Turnitin User Agreement’ before you can make a submission (see image below).
Click on the notification to read and accept the agreement (see image below).
Read the turnitin license agreement and click ‘I agree’ button to accept the terms and conditions.
After clicking ‘I agree’ you will see a green tick confirming that you have accepted the user agreement (see screenshot below). You are now able to submit Turnitin assignments.
How to submit an assignment
To begin with, you will need to navigate to the relevant module in Moodle and find the assignment submission link (see Fig. 1)
Click on the assignment you wish to submit and you will be taken to the page containing assignment information and an assignment submission box (see Fig. 2 for information).
Click on ‘Submit Paper’ link to begin your submission process. You will be presented with a pop up window where you will need to submit your paper.
The window will contain the following areas:
- Submission Type – this will be either a File Upload or a Text Submission (for copy pasting the text directly into the submission box). File Upload is often the default submission type (which means you may not be able to change it to Text Submission). This guidance will cover steps for File Upload.
- Submission Title – your assignment title – you must complete this field.
To upload a file click on he file icon (see Fig. 3)
You will next be taken to the File picker window, where you will need to follow these steps:
- Step 1 – Click on ‘Upload a file’ option on the left hand side menu to upload a file from your device.
- Step 2 – Under ‘Attachment’ in the centre of the page click on ‘Choose file’ to select a file for attaching.
- Step 3 – In ‘Save as’ field give your submission a title.
- Step 4 – In ‘Choose license’ menu select ‘All rights reserved’
- Step 5 – Click on ‘Upload this file’ button to upload your file to Turnitin.
See Fig. 4 for more details.
Below (Fig. 5) is an example of how a completed File picker window would look ready for upload.
Once you have uploaded the file you need to finalise the submission by checking the information is correct and ticking the disclaimer box at the bottom of the page confirming that the submission is your original work (see Fig. 6).
Click ‘Add Submission’ to complete the process.
Confirmation of submission – Digital receipt
Once your assignment submission has been uploaded to Turnitin you will presented with a Digital receipt with Turnitin submission ID and an extract of your submission.
You will also receive a Turnitin Digital Receipt to your LIPA e-mail address.
Click the ‘Close’ button on the top right hand side of the page to close the digital receipt (Fig 7).
You will be able to see your assignment in the Assignment folder in the module along with the similarity report score (to learn more about similarity reports please see our Turnitin information page).