The Announcements forum in Moodle is a special forum for general course news and announcements. A course may only have one Announcements forum or several, depending on how the course has been set up.
Teachers in Moodle are also able to create multiple Announcement forums to suit their needs.
Creating a new Announcement forum
- Navigate to your course in Moodle (https://moodle.lipa.ac.uk/)
- Enable editing by clicking on the cog at the top right of the page and select ‘Turn editing on‘
- Navigate to the chosen area of your Moodle course contents page and select ‘+Add an activity of resource’
- Select ‘Forum‘ from the list of activities in the pop up window.
- Give your forum a title in ‘Forum name’ field and click ‘Save and display’. You will create an empty forum, which can now be populated with messages.
Suggestion: ‘Forum’ activity can also be used for module FAQs section in Moodle.
Add a new discussion topic
- To start a new discussion thread, navigate to the discussion forum and click the ‘Add a new discussion topic’ button at the top of the page.
- In the following page give your discussion a title (in Subject field) and add your message below.
- Tick the ‘Discussion subscription box’ to receive e-mail notifications when new posts appear.
- If you would like for your post to appear at the top of the discussion board you can tick ‘Pinned’ box.
- Select ‘Post to forum‘ when finished.
Send forum post notifications with no editing-time delay
Usually, when a new post, an e-mail will be sent to the subscribers 30 minutes later to allow for any last minute editing by the author. This can be overridden when the ‘Send forum post notifications with no editing-time delay‘ box is ticked in when creating a new discussion topic.
Subscription (optional, forced, auto and disabled)
There are 4 subscription mode options in Moodle allowing teachers to choose how the students will be notified about discussion forum activity:
- Optional subscription – Participants can choose whether to be subscribed
- Forced subscription – Everyone is subscribed and cannot unsubscribe
- Auto subscription – Everyone is subscribed initially but can choose to unsubscribe at any time
- Subscription disabled – Subscriptions are not allowed.
By default, all modules at LIPA have Forced subscription mode enabled.
The subscription options can be accessed by clicking on the cog button at the top right corner of the page when creating/editing a discussion topic.
Last updated: 9/3/2020