Easily schedule student appointments and activities using the Scheduler Tool in Moodle
Need to organise office drop-ins to discuss assignments with students? Or plan audition schedules? Scheduler Tool in Moodle is there to help you and your students plan appointments.
- Allows individual group bookings
- Variable appointment duration
- Notifications for new and cancelled appointments
- Scheduling conflict alerts
- Easy tracking of bookings
- Booking form accepts notes and file uploads
The basic how to:
- Navigate to your module in Moodle and click the “Turn editing on” button.
- In the module week/topic click the link “Add an activity or resource.”
- In the box that appears, choose “Scheduler” and click the “Add” button.
A new page will open where you will need to give scheduler a Name (see Fig. 1).
Below you will see Options where you can choose the following settings:
- Role name of the teacher – you can leave this blank
- Mode – How many appointments a student can register
- Booking in groups – select ‘Yes’ to allow group bookings, otherwise leave set to No
- Guard time – prevents students from creating or amending bookings shortly before the appointment
- Default slot duration (in minutes)
- Notifications – select ‘Yes’ if you want to enable notifications for students and staff when appointments are created or amended.
- Use notes for appointments – select an appropriate option to enable notes.
- In the Grade section you can set up for grades to be entered following the appointment.
- Booking form and student-supplied data section is useful if you want your students to provide information prior to the appointment or even upload a file to be used for the appointment (file size limit here is 700MB). If you want to use a booking form, in ‘Use booking form field’ select ‘yes’ and adjust settings in the fields below.
- Scroll to the bottom of the webpage and click ‘Save and display’ (you can leave the rest of the settings as is).
Add slots to the scheduler:
- A new page will appear with the name of your scheduler at the top. Click the “Add slots” link (Fig. 2).
- A drop-down menu will appear that allows you to add repeated slots or a single slot. Click the link to add repeated slots.
- Options will appear to add time slots:
- Select a date (or a range of days and choose days of the week, if applicable).
- Time range – this is when the time window when the available slots will be scheduled.
- Divide into slots? – Select ‘Yes’ (if you choose ‘No’ students will book on to the whole slot, even if it’s three hours long)
- Force when overlap – select ‘No’
- Maximum number of students per slot – for one-to-one bookings, tick the ‘enable’ box and enter 1 in the field.
- Location – this is where the meeting/event will take place.
- Teacher – pick a teacher for the appointment (you will be able to choose from a drop down list of all teachers on the module)
- Display slot to students from – select ‘Now’
- Email a reminder – if you wish to remind students about their appointment select when you want the -email to go out.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Save and display” to view the schedule.
If you have questions or need additional guidance please do not hesitate to get in touch with us at TEL@groups.lipa.ac.uk