Last updated: 5/9/2019
Groups in Moodle can be a very useful way for teachers to manage student activities and clusters.
You may want to use groups if:
- You teach on a course where you have several classes and you want to filter your activities and gradebook so you only see one class at a time.
- You are a teacher sharing a course with other teachers and you want to filter your activities and gradebook so you don’t see the students from your colleagues’ classes.
- You want to allocate a particular activity, resource or topic section to just one class or set of users and you don’t want others to see it.
How can I add groups to my Moodle courses?
Prerequisites: teacher access to the course in Moodle
The most straightforward method for creating groups is by creating them manually for the course. You will find the step by step instructions below:
Access Course Participant settings
Login to Moodle (https://moodle.lipa.ac.uk/) and navigate to your course.
On the left hand side menu of your course page click on “Participants” field and then clicking the gear menu on the right and “Groups” (Fig. 1)
Create a group
You will be taken to the Groups page for your module, where you will be able to manage groups and create new ones.
To create a new group, click on ‘Create group’ option at the bottom of the page (Fig 2).
In the following page you will be asked to complete the following fields (Fig. 3), although in essence only the group name is required to create a new group:
- Group name
- Group ID number – leave this blank
- Group description (optional)
- Enrolment key (optional – click here to learn about the benefits of using an enrolment key)
- Group messaging – if you wish to engage in group conversations change this to ‘Yes’. You will then be able to send group messages from the messaging drawer. See Messaging for more information.
- Hide picture – set this to ‘No’
- New picture (optional – this would be displayed on the participants page and next to forum posts)
Click the ‘Save changes‘ button to finish creating the group.
You will be taken back to your Groups window in Moodle, where you will see the new group(s) you have created. Select the group to which you want to add participants, then click the ‘Add/remove users’ button (Fig 4)
In the “Potential members” list, select the users you want to add to the group. Multiple users may be selected using the Crtl key. Click the ‘Add’ button to add the users to the group (Fig. 5)
Once you have added the participants click on the ‘Back to groups’ button below (Fig. 6), which will take you back to the main page and save the changes you made.
Your group has been created!
You are now able to create group activities in Moodle.
To learn more about what you can do with Groups in Moodle please see official Moodle guidance on groups
Guidance adapted from: https://docs.moodle.org/37/en/Groups